How to install a Public Network Printer in King Building
This guide is for installing a HP 400 M401n, HP Color Laserjet Pro M452n, or a Xerox ColorCube 8570/8870 printer in the King Life Sciences Building. It assumes you are using an administrator account on a PC with Windows 7/10, which will already have the drivers needed for these printer models.
Installing a Public Network Printer:
- From the windows desktop, click Start, and then click Printers. In the upper left, click Add a printer.
- Once here a list of printers will show up, you can scroll through to see if your printer is there or you can click the link at the bottom The printer that I want isn't here if you know your printers IP address (this is the easiest route to take), there is a list of King and Unit I public printers at the bottom of this page.
- At this point at page will appear called Find a printer by other options. Half way down the list of options, click the Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname, then click the Next button.
- On the next page, Device type should be set to 'Autodetect', then type your printers IP address into the text box labled 'Hostname or IP address' (the IP will show up in the 'Port name' text box too). Make sure the box labled 'query the printer and automatically select the driver to use' is checked off, and then click the Next button. If it does ask, tell it to use the already installed driver for the printer.
- The page labeled 'Type a printer name' should be where you're at now, no need to change the name of the printer (which should be the model of the printer being installed) on your divice, so click the Next button. It should now tell you that you have installed the printer you selected, in which case you can click on the 'Print a test page' button or click the Finish button to complete the process.
- To set this printer as your default printer, from the windows desktop click Start, and then click Printers. The list of locally installed printers will appear, right click on the printer you would like to set as the default, and click 'Set as default printer'. Click 'ok' if it asks you if you are sure you want to set this as the default printer.
Determining a printer's IP Address:
To install a printer following the instructions on this page you need to know its IP address. If you cannot find it in the printer list the following instructions may help.
For a Xerox ColorQube 8560, you can find it by walking up to the printer and using it's built-in menu screen. Select Information; Printer Identification; then scroll down to where it says TCP/IPv4 address: 128.186.17*.*** (the *'s can be any number 0-9). You can also find it by printing a configuration page from the menu. Select Information; Information Pages; Configuration Page.
Other Models will always have a configuration page and many will have a menu option to view the network configuration directly in the menu screen. Typically they will be found in submenues titled a variation of: Identification, Configuration, Network, or Settings.
List of KIN public printers
|kin1056||HP 400 M401n||184.108.40.206|
|kin1056||HP 400 M401n||220.127.116.11|
|kin1057||HP 400 M401n||18.104.22.168|
|kin1057||HP 400 M402n||22.214.171.124|
|kin1057||HP DesignJet T520||126.96.36.199|
|kin2004a||HP Laserjet M452n||188.8.131.52||kin2004a||HP 400 M401n||184.108.40.206|
|kin3077||HP Laserjet M452n||220.127.116.11|
|kin3077||Hp 400 M401n||18.104.22.168|
|kin4056||HP Laserjet M452n||22.214.171.124|
|kin4056||HP 400 M401n||126.96.36.199|
List of UnitI public printers
|Bio Unit I 360||HP 400 M401n||188.8.131.52|
|Bio Unit I 360||HP M452dn||184.108.40.206|
|Bio Unit I 360||HP DesignJet T520||220.127.116.11|
Download HP M452dn and M401n drivers for macOSX here