Mission Road Facility
The Mission Road Research Facility is 2.5 miles west of the FSU campus at 2606 Mission Road and consists of two greenhouses, shared office and laboratory space, a 1.5-acre irrigated field, and several small wooded areas on a total of 13 acres. Boats used for field research are stored on site.
The large Mission Road greenhouse is a glass house cooled by a pad-and-fan system.
The larger of the two greenhouses has three 1600-square-foot sections. The north section houses stock plants for the teaching collection. The other two sections are used for research.
The south section is used for animal research and houses fish, salamanders, and turtles.
The smaller greenhouse is a glass house with four discrete 720-square-foot zones. It is Freon air-conditioned and controlled by an Argus computer system. One zone has supplemental lighting. All sections are used for research.
Lighted zone sterilized and ready for planting.
The irrigated field and wooded areas are used for both plant and animal research.
The entire Mission Road Facility is protected by a backup generator in case of power outages.