Biological Science Faculty Member
Dr. Hong-Guo Yu
- Office: 204 Biology Unit I
- Office: (850) 645-7344
- Lab: Biology Unit I
- Lab: (850) 645-7756
- Fax: (850) 644-0481
- Mail code: 4370
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ph.D., University of Georgia, 2000
Graduate Faculty Status
Research and Professional Interests:
Our research goal is to understand how chromosomes organize themselves and segregate during cell division. In mitosis the cell replicates itself by equally partitioning duplicated chromosomes. In contrast, during the first division of meiosis, homologous chromosomes pair, recombine, then separate, but sister chromatids remain joined together until the second division of meiosis. Understanding the dynamics of chromosome organization and segregation during meiosis can provide insights into the causes of birth defects and aneuploidy. We use the budding yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae as our experimental organism.
1. Koch, B.A., H. Jin, R.J. Tomko Jr., and H.-G. Yu. (2019) The anaphase-promoting complex regulates the degradation of the inner nuclear membrane protein Mps3. Journal of Cell Biology 218: 839-854. (FSU news)
2. Agarwal, M., H. Jin, M. McClain, J. Fan, B.A. Koch, S.L. Jaspersen, and H.-G. Yu. 2018. The half-bridge component Kar1 promotes centrosome separation and duplication during budding yeast meiosis. Molecular Biology of the Cell doi: 10.1091/mbc.E18-03-0163.
3. Li, P., H. Jin, B.A. Koch, R.L. Abblett, X. Han, J.R. Yates, III, and H.-G. Yu. 2017. Cleavage of the SUN-domain protein Mps3 at its N-terminus regulates centrosome disjunction in budding yeast meiosis. PLoS Genetics 13(6):e1006830. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pgen.1006830.
4. Li, P., Y. Shao, H. Jin, and H.-G. Yu. 2015. Ndj1, a telomere-associated protein, regulates centrosome separation in budding yeast meiosis. Journal of Cell Biology 209:247-259.
5. Li, P., H. Jin, and H.-G. Yu. 2014. Condensin suppresses recombination and regulates double-strand break processing at the repetitive rDNA array to ensure proper chromosome segregation during meiosis in budding yeast. Molecular Biology of the Cell 25: 2934-2947.
The following URL leads to a full list of published work at NCBI: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/labs/bibliography/hong-guo.yu.1/bibliography/public/
: External sites will open in a new browser window.